Bismillahir Rahmaanir Rahiim
CAIR ACTION ALERT #495
AMERICANS URGED TO HELP EASE SUFFERING IN LEBANON, PALESTINE
(WASHINGTON, D.C., 7/24/06) - The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) today called on Americans of all faiths to collect humanitarian relief supplies for delivery to Lebanon and the Palestinian Territories. CAIR is urging that the collection of relief aid be carried out following regular congregational prayers this week in American mosques, churches, synagogues, and other houses of worship.
Life for Relief and Development (LIFE), a 501(c)(3) organization that is registered with the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), has agreed to receive the humanitarian supplies and deliver them those in need. CAIR is asking that actual relief supplies be gathered because of the severe restrictions currently placed on financial aid by the U.S. government.
"A strong humanitarian response by the American people will send a powerful message of hope and support to the Lebanese and Palestinian men, women and children caught up in the current humanitarian disaster," said CAIR Executive Director Nihad Awad.
IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUESTED: CAIR is asking religious leaders of all faiths to announce this important humanitarian effort and to aid in collecting and sending the supplies to LIFE.
1. FILL A BOX with JUST ONE of the following items. (By only placing only one type of item into the box, you aid the collection effort and speed delivery by saving time spent sorting items in the warehouse): diapers, water purification tablets (can be obtained at most camping stores), flour, rice, sugar, cooking oil, powdered milk, lentils.
* Food should be mailed in small boxes, no larger than 16"×12"×12."
* Diapers should be mailed in medium-sized boxes, no larger than 24"×18"×18."
* The maximum weight of each box should not exceed 40 pounds.
* Each box should contain only ONE TYPE of the relief supplies listed above. (Example: a box of lentils)
* No pork or alcohol products will be accepted.
2. MAIL THE BOX TO:LIFE for Relief & DevelopmentLebanon/Palestine Relief Effort17300 W. 10 Mile Road, Southfield, MI 48075Tel: (248) 424-7493, Toll Free: 1-800-827-3543, Fax: (248) 424-8325, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
PLEASE ANNOUNCE, POST AND DISTRIBUTE
CAIR Council on American-Islamic Relations 453 New Jersey Avenue, S.E.Washington, D.C. 20003 Tel: 202-488-8787, 202-744-7726Fax: 202-488-0833 E-mail: http://us.f343.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?Toemail@example.com URL: http://www.cair-net.org/